ETHICAL AND LEGAL FOUNDATIONS OF PMHNP CARE
Advanced practice nursing in all specialties is guided by codes of ethics that put the care, rights, duty, health, and safety of the patient first and foremost. PMHNP practice is also guided by ethical codes specifically for psychiatry. These ethical codes are frameworks to guide clinical decision-making; they are generally not prescriptive. They also represent the aspirational ideals for the profession. Laws, on the other hand, dictate the requirements that must be followed. In this way, legal codes may be thought to represent the minimum standards of care, and ethics represent the highest goals for care.
For this Discussion, you select a topic that has both legal and ethical implications for PMHNP practice and then perform a literature review on the topic. Your goal will be to identify the most salient legal and ethical facets of the issue for PMHNP practice, and also how these facets differ in the care of adult patients versus children. Keep in mind as you research your issue, that laws differ by state and your clinical practice will be dictated by the laws that govern your state.
• American Nurses Association. (2015). Code of ethics for nurses with interpretive statements Links to an external site.. https://www.nursingworld.org/practice-policy/nursing-excellence/ethics/code-of-ethics-for-nurses/coe-view-only/Links to an external site.
• American Psychological Association. (2017). Ethical principles of psychologists and diagnostic formulation Links to an external site.. http://www.apa.org/ethics/code/Links to an external site.
• American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry. (2014). Code of ethics Links to an external site.. https://www.aacap.org/App_Themes/AACAP/docs/about_us/transparency_portal/aacap_code_of_ethics_2012.pdfLinks to an external site.
• American Psychiatric Nurses Association. (2020). APRN psychiatric-mental health nursing practice Links to an external site.. https://www.apna.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageID=3846Links to an external site.
• Anderson, S. L. (2012).Practice parameter on gay, lesbian, or bisexual sexual orientation, gender nonconformity, and gender discordance in children and adolescents Links to an external site.. American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 51(9). 957–974. https://www.jaacap.org/action/showPdf?pii=S0890-8567%2812%2900500-XLinks to an external site.
• Hilt, R. J., & Nussbaum, A. M. (2016). DSM-5 pocket guide for child and adolescent mental health Links to an external site.. American Psychiatric Association Publishing.
o Chapter 2, “Addressing Behavioral and Mental Problems in Community Settings”Links to an external site.
• Thapar, A., Pine, D. S., Leckman, J. F., Scott, S., Snowling, M. J., & Taylor, E. A. (2015). Rutter’s child and adolescent psychiatry (6th ed.). Wiley Blackwell.
o Chapter 19, “Legal Issues in the Care and Treatment of Children with Mental Health Problems”
• Zakhari, R. (2020). The psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioner certification review manual. Springer.
o Chapter 1, “Preparing to Pass the Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Certification Exam”
• Select one of the following ethical/legal topics:
o Involuntary hospitalization and due process of civil commitment
o Informed assent/consent and capacity
o Duty to warn
o Child and elder abuse reporting
o Tort law
Choose a total of four scholarly, professional, or legal resources related to this topic.
One should address ethical considerations related to this topic for adults,
One should be on ethical considerations related to this topic for children/adolescents,
One should be on legal considerations related to this topic for adults,
And one should be on legal considerations related to this topic for children/adolescents.
• Briefly identify the topic you selected.
• Then, summarize the articles you selected,
• Explaining the most salient ethical and legal issues related to the topic as they concern psychiatric-mental health practice for children/adolescents and for adults.
• Explain how this information could apply to your clinical practice, including specific implications for practice within your state.
• Attach the PDFs of your articles.