Assessment Brief -Academic and Professional Skills (APS 101)
Assessment 3: Formal Essay
Due: Week 8
Submission: Written submission via Moodle
Type: Individual assessment
b. Apply the skills required for academic success in higher education, in particular, the role of time management, information literacy and data management
c. Express and effectively communicate ideas in both written and verbal form
e. Utilise critical and creative thinking skills within academic, personal and professional contexts
In this assessment, students are required to:
• Submit a copy of the Studiosity report based on a draft essay
• Document the changes and improvements made to the essay based on the Studiosity report and personal observations
• Complete a final 1000 word essay
Students will be required to form a cohesive argument using at least four academic sources, and present the essay in a suitable format. Each student will be allocated a specific essay topic in class. Completing an essay on the incorrect topic will require resubmission of the assessment. Essay topic are listed on the following page.
This assessment builds on the research conducted in preparing the Annotated Bibliography (Assessment 1).
Approaches to completing all elements of the assessment will be covered in lectures; specifically:
• Harvard referencing – discussed in detail in Topic 3
• Conducting relevant research – discussed in detail in Topic 4
• Written communication skills – discussed in detail in Topic 5
A formal essay is a piece of writing that informs or persuades its audience. The writer of the academic essay aims to persuade readers of an idea based on evidence. The essay is always structured the same way: an introduction, the main body, and a conclusion. The main purpose of the essay is to present an argument.
ASSESSMENT BMEF 1 ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL SKILLS (APS 101) Dir APS 101 AsMwnoot twM *2 doc
Author ProLCAMd/Dr M Aston D«r 25/00/2020